Wednesday, May 29, 2013

5.3 amd64 X200: Upgrading OpenBSD using USB Flashdrive.

Hey,

This is related to Creating USB Flashdrive installer. I posted previously. I have another OpenBSD machine in my office, not that the company requires it but as it's my machine, I installed whatever I want. The machine is still on 5.2, so this is a good chance to test my shiny USB Flashdrive installer.

If your machine is just like mine, which support USB Booting, I just boot from USB Flashdrive. Bolded is my input.

Welcome to the OpenBSD/amd64 5.3 installation program.
(I)nstall, (U)pgrade or (S)hell?
u

Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
Which disk is the root disk? ('?' for details) [sd0]
?
sd0: ST9160823AS (149.1G)
sd1: DataTraveler 2.0 (1.9G)


As you can see it asked for the root disk. Which is the disk I want to upgrade. I choose ? to check which device is for my primary disk and which is for the USB Flashdrive. As you can see, sd1 is my Kingston DataTraveler USB Flashdrive. So then I just press ENTER for the default choice [sd0] for the root disk.

Let's upgrade the sets!
Location of sets? (cd disk ftp http or 'done') [cd]
disk

Remember the sets are in the USB Flashdrive so I need to set the location correctly. So I choose disk.

Is the disk partition already mounted? [no] ENTER
Available disks are: sd0 sd1.
Which one contains the upgrade media? (or 'done') [sd1]
ENTER
  a:        1228768             64        4.2BSD    2048    16384    1
  i:        2658867        1228863        MSDOS
Available sd1 partitions are: a i.
Which one has the upgrade sets? (or 'done') [a]
Enter
Pathname to the sets? (or 'done') [5.3/amd64] 5.3

The sd1 is not mounted, so I need to answer accordingly. I then choose sd1 and then the a partition (remember sd1a is for OpenBSD, sd1i is for MSDOS). My 5.3 sets is in sd1a/5.3/ so I just input the directory name 5.3.

Select sets by entering a set name, a file name pattern or 'all'. De-select sets by prepending a '-' to the set name, file name pattern or 'all'. Selected sets are labelled '[X]'.

Now I can see the list of sets I have in the 5.3 directory. Continue to upgrade as usual. After it's upgraded, I rebooted the machine to change the timezone, then mount the USB Flashdrive again to do sysmerge. The usual stuff.

Installation via USB Flashdrive is FAST! Later.

No comments:

6.5 amd64: Modify existing certbot certificates.

Hi, It's been quite some time eh. As you can see, I still upgrade my OpenBSD system regularly but currently I do not have the time to ...